Put yourself at the intersection of environmental advocacy, cutting edge policy, and a movement for clean water. Waterkeepers Chesapeake fights for clean water and a healthy environment by supporting Waterkeepers throughout the Chesapeake and coastal regions as they protect their communities, rivers, and streams from pollution. We seek a dynamic and seasoned professional who will be responsible for developing and leading multi-platform communications content to amplify our member Waterkeepers’ work, promote our programs and campaigns, and increase WKC’s visibility and impact. The Communications Director will report to the Deputy Director and work closely with the Executive Director and program staff. The ideal candidate will have training and a professional background that demonstrates strategic thinking, experience working with diverse audiences, proficiency with earned media, digital media, and sharp writing to inspire action and advance advocacy goals and public policy. This is an excellent position for a candidate interested in creating a dynamic and strategic communication program to support Waterkeepers and advance clean water policy and campaigns that make a real difference to the health and economic well-being of our local communities.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Craft and execute strategic communication plans for organizational visibility and growth and campaign
- Provide technical and hands-on communications assistance to our Waterkeeper member programs.
- Develop a strategic social media plan, manage development of all content for social media and the website, and maintain a weekly social media calendar. Use data driven strategies to lead our online presence and grow our supporter/follower base on social media platforms.
- Draft, edit and distribute campaign materials, press releases, blogs, op-eds, and letters to the editor. Monitor media and participate in rapid response when necessary.
- Create visual materials (informational graphics, photographs, etc.) for publications and outreach efforts, and coordinate work with our vendors to develop additional materials, including video.
- Support staff in conducting outreach and developing partnerships for campaigns, including through events.
- Lead online fundraising and marketing of the organization.
- Develop fact sheets and advocacy tools in collaboration with other staff.
- Participate and occasionally lead coalitions in communication strategies to advance organizational campaigns and advocacy.
- Create visual presentations through PowerPoint or other similar presentation programs, as needed.
Download complete job notice and details of how to apply: WKC Communications Director 2022
* * * * * * * *
Statistics show that women and people of underrepresented groups are more likely to apply to jobs only when they meet 100% of the job qualifications. We encourage individuals to break those statistics. No candidate ever meets 100% of the requested qualifications. We look forward to your application. Waterkeepers Chesapeake is an equal opportunity employer.