Waterkeepers Chesapeake seeks a bright, experienced individual to join our fundraising team as a Grants Manager & Writer. In addition to researching and writing grant proposals on behalf of our non-profit organization, the Grants Manager & Writer will be in charge of maintaining a grants calendar to monitor the application process and keep track of various deadlines. The ideal candidate should feel comfortable reaching out to institutional and potential donors, as well as communicating with company leaders regarding their financial needs. The Grants Manager & Writer will report to the Executive Director and work closely with all program staff. Our ideal candidate is someone who will be able to enthusiastically help our organization attain the grants it needs to serve the community. This is an excellent position for a candidate interested in working in a small organization that welcomes creative ideas from staff at all levels, and provides a range of responsibilities and opportunities to learn and participate in campaigns that make a difference in people’s lives. This is a part-time 20 to 24 hour per week position, with the possibility of becoming full-time dependent on available funding. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all staff are working remotely. When we are able to return to the office, we hold a weekly staff meeting and our staff primarily work remotely, coming into our Takoma Park, MD office once or twice a week.
Grants Manager & Writer Duties and Responsibilities
- Research and identify new funding opportunities (foundations and corporate).
- Maintain a grants calendar to monitor progress and ensure deadlines are met.
- Draft and assemble written materials in support of grant applications.
- Draft grant proposals, interim and final grant reports, and related materials to a high standard of quality, shepherding them through the in-house review and approval process to ensure all deadlines are met.
- Manage grant file records, online (Salesforce and Shared Google Drive) and hard files.
- Communicate with potential funders and institutional donors.
- Write sponsorship packages for corporate donors.
- Review budget proposals with the Executive Director or other team leaders.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings.
Grant Writer Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Exceptional research skills.
- Prior experience in grant or proposal writing.
- Experience with non-profit fundraising.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and timelines with a positive attitude, flexibility and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated success in working as a member of a small team and developing effective working relationships with staff, volunteers, and the public. Strong work ethic.
- Familiarity with Salesforce a plus.
Waterkeepers Chesapeake is a coalition of 17 Waterkeeper programs working to make the waters of the Chesapeake and Coastal Bays swimmable and fishable. We amplify the voices of each Waterkeeper and mobilize our organizations to fight pollution and champion clean water.
The position is in the Washington, DC metro area and includes telecommuting as well as shared office space in Takoma Park. MD. A car will be necessary for meetings throughout the Chesapeake Bay region.
Salary range for this part-time position is $35,000 – $45,000. The position is available immediately. Waterkeepers Chesapeake is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, disabled people, and transgender or gender non-conforming applicants strongly encouraged to apply.
Please submit a resume, cover letter indicating your specific interest in this position, and a writing sample info(at)waterkeeperschesapeake.org with Subject line = LAST NAME – Grants Manager & Writer.
Download Job Notice: Grants Manager & Writer (PT)